Interesting Facts About Dairy
1. Milk is the only food that you can survive wholly on. It has every nutrient your body needs to live.
2. Milk is the best recovery drink after a workout. The combination of carbohydrates, fat, protein and other micronutrients makes milk the premier recovery drink, possibly even more effective than commercially available sports drinks.
3. 2.1 billion litres of milk are consumed every day all over the world. That’s enough to fill up 813 Olympic-sized swimming pools!
4. A cow turns grass into milk within 2 to 3 days. Depending on the breed, a cow can make between 25 and 40 litres of milk a day.
5. Dairy cows are social animals, they naturally form herds. And like people, they will make friends and bond with some, while avoiding others.
6. Farmers who called their cows by name reported higher milk yields than those who did not.
7. Dairy cows like it cold - between -3 and 18 degree Celsius is their preferred temperature.
8. People were already herding dairy cattle over 7,500 years ago – even before they engaged in agriculture.
9. Like people, dairy cows too have an ideal body weight. The Cowdition App is a smart way for farmers to track the body condition and health status of their herd.
10. Dairy cows weigh the same as the heart of a blue whale.
Dairy cows are amazing animals. They make a significant contribution to the world and all who live in it. This is why Bayer is committed to advancing innovations that support the health and well-being of dairy cows, as well as the people who care for them.