Happy Banana Day!
1. Some think that bananas were the first fruit on earth.
2. Bananas come from the jungles of Southeast Asia. It is said that the Portuguese brought them to the Americas.
3. There are two main types: the table banana and the plantain (cooking banana) and almost 1000 varieties.
4. They provide a quick boost of energy, and are a good source of Vitamins C and B6 and potassium. They are low in calories and have no fat, no sodium and no cholesterol.
5. Bananas are grown and harvested all year round. They can be harvested 8-10 months after planting.
6. Bananas are grown by planting suckers from the base of the mother plants. They grow up to 15 m. high.
7. Bananas stems are not wood but rolled leaves. Because they can be blown easily props and windbreaks are used to protect it against high winds.
8. A cluster of bananas is called a hand, and a single banana is called a finger. Each banana hand has about 10 to 20 fingers.
9. Bananas big leaves are used as green umbrellas, plates, tablecloths, etc.
10. The scientific name for banana is musa sapientum, which means “fruit of the wise men”.