Dr. Jacqueline M. Applegate
Uniting to Serve Our Local Communities
At Environmental Science, a global business unit of Crop Science, we are driven by our mission of fostering healthy environments where people live, work and play. It’s what motivates and unites us across the many customers, business segments, and geographies that we serve.
Two years ago, we started what has become a regular rendez-vous to emphasize our dedication to that mission – the Global Environmental Science Community Service Day (GESCSD). On this day of service, we unify our global organization to become volunteers to serve our communities, collectively, by partnering with a diverse set of organizations in overall 30 countries with about 400 colleagues coming together. We held our fourth community service day this June, 21st, and focused on connectedness and humanity to create positive change around the world.
These days of service bring what we do at Bayer full circle, as we come together to improve our local environments where we live, work and play. For many of us, this year’s event was an opportunity to return to organizations with which we have built strong relationships over the past few years or discover new causes to support. This time around, we wanted to do even more in our communities and empower our workforce to create a lasting impact together. Here are just a few of the ways our team has given back this year!
Dr. Jacqueline M. Applegate
President Global Vegetable Seeds & Environmental Science
- In Mexico, our team supported the association Maligras Caninos in constructing a system to capture and store water to hydrate 300 dogs from the shelter. The team also donated Bayer solutions for pest and flea control.
- Our team in Kenya facilitated the repair of the floors of classrooms at a local primary school.
- Our Australian team partnered with the organization Clean Up Australia to clear litter from an inner-city park in Melbourne.
- Our team in St. Louis, USA volunteered at Ready Readers, where they packed books to be shipped to communities serving low-income children.
- Colleagues in China held four educational sessions in Shanghai and Beijing about pest control.
- Our Nordics team collected litter from a beach in Dragør, Denmark.
- Colleagues in France volunteered at 6 different associations around Lyon. The team sorted food donations for a local foodbank and clothes for the people in need, prepared meals at a local canteen, assisted at a retirement home, taught a group of disabled youth about mosquitos and cleaned up a riverbank.
Our global days of service would not be possible without the passion and dedication of our global and local teams who organize and participate in the volunteering events.
I am grateful to work with such a purpose- and community-driven team who strives to make our communities and environment much better. At Bayer, we are committed to improving people’s lives and making a positive impact today and in the future, and it’s days like our Global ES Community Service Day that bring that vision to life!