Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Conversation
Sylvia
Klinger
Transparency

Hi Sylvia,

We appreciate the question. Scientifically, ‘toxic’ would refer to the dose of a substance necessary to produce an adverse effect. Sometimes, the term is used to create concern over something that could cause harm at a dose that people aren’t exposed to. In this context, 'toxic' can be a misleading term, as a person’s exposure to a substance has to be high enough for an adverse effect to actually occur. Vitamin D is a good example. We need it to live, but if we eat too much it interferes with the body’s ability to use calcium and can cause harm. Additionally, vitamin D is approved for use as a rat and mouse poison, however, few people would call vitamin D ‘toxic’ as they encounter it in their daily lives. 

 

6
Neutral
Off
Off
Societal consumer
sylvia@hispanicnutrition.com
Linkedin
Assignee